Wednesday 7 September 2016

Why Tell This Cat

Spending an extra year at college was one of the best decisions I have made. Due to the fact that I didn't know what I wanted to do or whether university was the right decision for me, plus I didn't have near enough work for a portfolio at that time so I doubt that I would've even got into university. So I took a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design. Not only did I manage to decide to go to University and put together a portfolio that helped me get a place but this course helped me gain a lot of confidence in myself and in my own work. Which played a crucial part in me going to University.

But also this course allowed me to have the idea to have a go at starting my own brand which is something I've dreamed of. This was a part of my final major project for this course, which started off with me researching the trend of "Feminine masculine" or androgynous fashion for woman. Where I noticed shirts were worn my woman to show Confidence,Power and Sophistication and wanted to emit this into my own designs with my own quirky style, I also think that the fact that shirts have always been a fashion staple for me due to my love of 60's Mod Fashion. So this lead me to the idea of creating detachable collars with my own style of machine embroidery











I previously had the idea to call my brand a name relating to my name like most designers do. I chose my surname "Cattell" which I then came with the idea of splitting it in to " Cat Tell" then designed a Logo with an image of a Cat with Tell underneath then developed in to Tell This Cat which I adore as I wanted a brand that takes in the comment of others as well as making personalised items so "why don't you tell this cat something witty, while I make you something pretty" was a phrase I wanted everyone to know because I want feedback and conversations about my work and to create a community of people that love being creative and passionate about fashion. I know that everyone is Unique so how it is possible to create a perfect item for someone is hard so if it is batched made then how is it made for everyone as I suggested everyone is unique just like my work. Everything I do make I make for myself because I love them and hope that someone else with love them as much as I do.



I wanted to discuss the ideas behind my First 3 collar designs the cat logo with the text “tell” is obviously my brand logo it’s playful and adorable and ideal for those cat lovers and I chose a peter pan styled collar as I think it goes with the playful aesthetic



 But my main point was that I wanted to create a collar that represents a belief that I’m passionate about and something I have been affected by personally that I wanted to share especially to younger woman which is...As woman we can single ourselves out from other woman, by comparing our bodies, our looks and our lifestyle but in reality we shouldn’t compare ourselves to others as everyone is individual and beautiful in their own way using the pink thread on one models represents “you” then the black thread is everyone else and how you can feel you don’t fit in or stand out from everyone else and I think as a society it’s so easily done as we are so used to comparing our self’s to each other on social media, when we shouldn’t.

My third collar was a design I created to link the two collars together by incorporating the three models and my cat logo.
 I am so passionate about my work and would dream to carry on making these but sadly I haven't found many people that love it as much as I do hence why I thought blogging would be a perfect way to form a community with lovely people that hopefully enjoy my work as much as I do. As I dream off one day to have my own brand, selling my clothing/Products across the world and inspiring others, but I know this will take a lot of work as I've got a long way to go. I’m hoping at University in my spare time to continue to improve my products to a sellable level while continuing to blog my progress and hopefully I will be able to start selling.Below are photos I shot of my beautiful friend Gemma modeling my collars.








I hope you enjoyed learning about Tell This Cat, any support would be so appreciated, Follow my blog and twitter for update as well as my Instagram Links will be bellow. 



http://leia-hannah.tumblr.com/
https://www.instagram.com/hannahleia/

Tell This Cat 
https://facebook.com/tellthiscat/
https://www.instagram.com/tellthiscat/
https://tellthiscat.tumblr.com/
https://twitter.com/tellthiscat
https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/tell-this-cat/

Portfolio 

http://hannahcattellportfolio.tumblr.com/


Why don't you Tell This Cat something witty,
while i design you something pretty xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment